Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"I Can Handle It"

Sometimes I wonder, "Did that really just happen? Am I in real life?" Then I laugh and write about it. 

For instance, today I had a ceremony for the reunion of Mr. Coffee and me. Mr. Coffee is my espresso machine that I have been without for a month. I did not realize that I could bring Mr. Coffee to school (Cedarville University). For you to understand the significance of this, you must first understand two things: I have an unhealthy addiction to coffee and I have a love passion for coffee. The first description is how my friends describe it...the second is how I prefer to describe it. To my chagrin, I lived without Mr. Coffee for a month and drank coffee from Chuck's (our cafeteria) and random espresso drinks from Vecinos (our cafe). 

Finally, Mr. Coffee and I were reunited and I brought him back with me after a visit home.  In my excitement to drink my espresso, I released the pressure too quick. This resulted in the lid catapulting to the ceiling from the steam, releasing a thunderous sound akin to a bomb exploding. Besides making all my unit mates pee their pants (myself included), everything was surprisingly okay. I recovered by curling up in a ball for about ten minutes in the fullest belly laughter imaginable. 

In my class (which I was late to thanks to the Mr. Coffee incident), my prof mentioned just how many times we assume, "Oh I can handle it."  I think God chuckles a bit whenever we say that. Like, "Here we go again, Jillian thinks she has this life thing down." We forget that we have a fallen human nature. We forget that we are created to be in relation with God and with others. If we simply think we can handle things by ourselves, we inevitably... well... blow up like Mr. Coffee. 

There builds up so much pressure in oneself if they bear things alone. The truth of the matter is, I like when things blow up, because sometimes that is what it takes for me to realize I need adjusting. Yet blowing up is not always the best way to come to this realization. There is always signs of the steam building up too much pressure beforehand. 

My ultimate goal is to stop before I blow up. I am Mr. Coffee. I need to let God handle the pressure and let others see me in my weak times. Otherwise, I will eventually self destruct. 

I think I am going to go give Mr. Coffee a second try now. And a word of advice: don't try to do this life thing by yourself. Let God release the pressure and give you a life better than the best Grande Nonfat Latte around.


3 comments:

Mark Pierce said...

Hey Jillian! Welcome to the blogging world! You are such a wonderful writer, so I am sure your posts will fascinating to read. The Mr. Coffee incident connection to handling life is a good one. I find that if I connect with God every day, I let off enough steam so that my life won't blow up. Keep up the good work. I am proud of you! Love, Dad

Shaun said...

I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed your post about the Mr. Coffee incident. It is good to know that Mr. Coffee still works. I hope college is going well for you. Good luck with your writing, it is great to read your gift that God has given to you for others to enjoy.

Walt Pierce said...

Hi Sweetie Pie,

Love all your blogs. I especially relate to this one. The "I can handle this" syndrom is also an affliction known as "The John Wayne Syndrom" as in "No thanks, Pilgrim, I don't need any help". In an earlier life I struggled with this affliction needing professional help. I accomplished so much more once I accepted the help of others. You are a wise young lady, a trait you no doubt inhiered from your Paternal Grandparent, huh? Love you bunches!