Tuesday, December 9, 2008

After a long, painful absence, Only Questions

Questions I have been asking as of late:

What is the church?
Since when did it become a black widow and decide to eat its own?
If it can't take care of its own people, then how the hell is it going to reach out to other people in the world? How can it take care of all the other crap?

How does God manage to take such a tormenting situation and turn it into a refreshing one?

Why do my glasses always have spots on the lenses?

Do I eat too much chocolate?

When was the last time I really thanked God for everything he has done? 

Am I going to pull a B in Politics Class? Do I care?

How am I going to survive a month without Stephanie Taylor?

Should I get people anything for Christmas this year? Would I be contributing to the Consumerism that dehydrates our society? 

Is it possible for a 19 year old to write a smashing book full of everything she needs to say? 

Have I become too cynical? Do I sound like an old bitter woman with her lips pursed too tight?

Why do I even wonder at these things when next door, someone is probably wondering things like, "Where is my next meal coming from?" and "I wonder if anyone loves me?" 


Answers:
According to Mrs. Smith, my Junior High History Teacher, the answer is always 2. 

According to Paul, my attitude should be like Christ and become a servant. He also advised that I should rejoice no matter the circumstances.

According to the ceiling tiles I am staring at, well, nothing. They are rather indignant in their silence. 

There is no more time to wallow or to question. I have no more time to wonder at the things I cannot control. Only time to act. 

It is the end of this day and my body will surrender to the flowered sheets. Yet I hope for tomorrow. I pray for a will empowered by the Spirit to leave behind all unanswered questions. I suppose I do not need them answered anyway. At least not in one sitting. Or maybe not all in one lifetime. I am convinced the only essential is a God who knows all of those answers already, and now is the ultimate time to strip down to the essentials. 

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Stephanie's answers:

1. Everything has it's good and bad side. Black widow? That's the dark side.

2. He is a balla. Also, he created the universe. Also, I have a bag full or verses for this exact question if you'd like, because I myself used them as lifelines throughout high school.

3. You may need a special lens cloth cleaner. Ask my mom, she used to work for my optomestrist.

4. You can never eat too much chocolate. I mean, I guess you technically can, but really, you can't.

5. My answer for you is non-existant here, but not enough for myself.

6. You probs are if not better, and you do care as much as you hate to admit it.

7. I do not know. There will be visits but they will not suffice for the days we spend hours spooning. I am at a loss for words except for, I hope we make it.

8. You wouldn't because your gifts always mean something, but you don't have to get gifts.

9. Heck yes it is. Especially when that 19 year old happens to be an amazing and intelligent individual.

10. Naaaaaaaaw. I'd tell you.

11. Because at the core of every human is selfishness. It is what drives every sin, it is what fuels our dreams and desires. Above us, others are asking why their car has to be a 2006 model car as opposed to a 2009. Below us are the questions you state. We simply need to be thankful for what we have and help the others to the best of our ability.




And the answer to all else? Stephanie loves you.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sweetiepie,

You sure sound angry? That's okay. I almost always sound angry, although I very rarely am. When I am angry I know to lower my voice and speak distinctly.

You emphasised your feelings with a couple "choice" adverbs which I am not accustomed to hearing from you. Thats not part of the curriculum at Cedarville, is it?

When your Dad and Uncle Todd were 5 & 7,I discovered that Todd was enamoured with the word shit.
I took the two boys to their bedroom and said words that only sailors with 5 years in the Navy knows. They got so "big eyed". I let them know it did not take brains to speak so. I told them that they had never heard me talk like that because none of the people whom I respected in life talked like that while nearly all the people I disrespected always talked like that. I never heard Todd said shit again and I have never heard Mark talk like that.
You'r too big to take to your bed room and too late anyway. I mean, you are one of the people whom I love and respect.

Grandpa

Our Happy Family said...

I tried to post this yesterday and for some reason it didn't take. So I will try again.

What is the Church?
I have asked the same thing many times. What I have discovered is this.... the Church is where ever two or more are gathered in his name. The Church is your college your dorm room. It can be a small group of friends or family together praying. It is the love of Christ and his sacrifice. It is not brick and mortar it is not any one person or any one building. The Church has great power and sometimes our humanity inside the Church can cause us distress and pain but that is not the Church. Just remember Christ is the Head of the Church and he never turns from us.

Praying for you and your family
Gretchen

Lori Biddle said...

We are the church, no matter if we are together or apart for a while. Forever we will be together.

I love you!

Lori